Or, What happens when we try to follow the rules
Ever wanted to listen in on a Restless Writers’ meeting? Here’s a peek at our minutes from last Tuesday’s session. Because we’re all orderly & $#!T
Restless Writers, Nov. 16/10 (Birthday Edition)
1) Call to order
• L and B pronounced the Tin Cup parking lot to be inaccessible and the entrances ill-designed.
• Action: L to submit letter requesting management to make a frickin’ driveway on Upper Middle.
• L and B seconded M’s decision to choose fries with a side of fries for dinner. L harassed the waitress into recommending the steak sandwich. B made an initially healthy-dinner choice not so much by adding crispy chicken.
• B drew attention to the fact that she had 900 followers on Twitter, and four full manuscripts in the hands of agents. L and M were suitably impressed.
• Tangent: B explained her smart writer-focused Twitter strategy; L agreed that unfollowing people who unfollow you is imperative; M agreed to start “tweeting dangerously.”
2) Banff writing retreat
• Potential dates in February and April were vetoed due to pre-existing vacation plans.
• Motion put forward by L to plan to hold the retreat pre- or post-Stampede in July 2011. Decision pending approval by the Wordbitches.
• Tangent: L told us that Calgary was the STD capital of Canada. B and L are followed by Jann Arden, and both noted this with a “squee.” L hates Rush, so L and M are officially in a fight. To resolve the tension, all agreed that Blue Rodeo’s “Try” is awesome.
3) RW blog posts
• B is posting later this week
• Action: B to approach Denise Jaden, author of LOSING FAITH and fellow SiWC attendee, about an interview for a post
• M thought posting the minutes from one of the meetings would be hilarious, and could be categorized as a diablogue. L and B rolled their eyes, but agreed.
• Tangent: B led a discussion about what the group should do for New Year’s Eve. B wants to put on a fancy dress and go dancing. M wants to wear her Nine West platforms. L has a baby-sitter and has found her razor. Motion by B to hear Freedom Train at Geraldo’s in LaSalle Park. Decision pending band’s schedule and ability to find a date (affectionately nicknamed “Juan Carlos”) for M.
4) Planning for the next 6-month horizon
• B asked if we should “like, bring stuff?” to the next meeting. Hilarity and self-pity ensued.
• B stated for the record that we suck. L and M glumly agreed.
• B to bring most recent iteration of her non-fiction proposal and a query letter, and invest in a smartphone.
• L will continue to make excuses for not querying agents, but will then actually start querying early next week. L will also share her hippie school parenting article.
• M will edit her sleep essay and submit pages before next meeting, as long as indexing doesn’t get in the way.
Next meeting scheduled for Dec 16.
Meeting adjourned at 7:05 p.m.
Amendment, Nov. 18/10: It’s Banff that’s the STD capital of Canada (thanks Lori!). Apologies to all pure-as-the-driven-snow Calgarians.
8 responses to “Fries with a side of fries”
Awesome post, Maria! We should be sponsored by fries with a side of fries…
ps Banff is the STD capital of Canada (or it was when I hung out there….ba-dum-ch!)
Thanks for the correction, Lori. We should really pin down the source for this, before we get sued.
Very fun post, and oh so true! Except, I really don’t think I want a Smart Phone, do I?
I live in the STD capital of Canada? I don’t even have an STD! Yet again, bringing the stats down…
You just have to go out and give it the old college try.
You guys kill me.
I love how a Banff retreat made the agenda. I agree, it’s very important and should definitely be made a priority.
July’s too far away. Also crazy summer season which is notoriously hard to organize. (but what move mountains if need be) What have you got going in March?
And STD capital? I think I did hear that somewhere and ewwww……
We definitely need to discuss our options. And yes, July is far away. If I could, I’d come out this weekend!
Restless Ladies: I think we should do ALL of our minutes this way—for public consumption and our own accountability. Uhhh hemm. I love how we have a “loop-hole” for well, pretty much everything!