Although I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the first red leaves on the drive back from the cottage last weekend, there’s actually a lot for the Restless Writers and our local reading/writing pals to look forward to this fall (besides our trip to the Surrey International Writers Conference, October 22-24). And we don’t have to go any farther than our local library.
Burlington Public Library (BPL) hosts visits from noted Canadian authors each month—and they’re free! You do have to pre-register, since seats go fast. To register, call 905-639-3611 ext. 134. All visits take place from 7-9pm in Centennial Hall, Central Library. (Notes: Dates are subject to change, so keep an eye on the BPL website for updates.)
Here’s the BPL fall line-up:
- Kate Taylor, A Man in Uniform, Tuesday, September 14
- Tish Cohen, The Truth About Delilah Blue, Wednesday, September 22
- Lesley Livingston, Darklight, Thursday, September 30
- Andrew Heintzman, The New Entrepreneurs: Building a Green Economy for the Future, Tuesday, October 19
- Allan Stratton, Borderline, Thursday, October 21
- Michael Wex, The Frumkiss Family Business, Wednesday, October 27
- Todd Denault, The Greatest Game: The Montreal Canadiens, the Red Army, and the Night That Saved Hockey, Monday, November 15
- Debi Goodwin, Citizens of Nowhere: From Refugee Camps to Canadian Campus, Thursday, December 2
As part of the Engaging Authors series, offered by BPL and A Different Drummer Books, Doug Sanders, author of Arrival City: The Final Migration and Our Next World, will be speaking on Tuesday, September 28. Tickets are $10, and can be purchased at the library or the bookstore. Limited tickets are available at the door.
One response to “Author visits at Burlington Public Library this fall”
A Different Drummer Books just announced the fall dates for their Morning Book and Author series: Oct. 19, Nov. 9 and Nov. 30. Series tickets are $52, and will be on sale from Sat., Sept. 18 at the store (513 Locust Street). Call 905-639-0925 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Some of the authors on tap include Peter Robinson, Merilyn Simonds, Wayne Grady, Charles Foran, Nathan Greenfield, Marni Jackson, and Anna Porter.
Join A Different Drummer Books in celebrating their 40th year as “the epitome of an independent bookshop.” Keep an eye open for more details about new events to come!