Today is Earth Day and we all know how important it is to consider our environmental choices—not just today, but every day. There are many ways that we, as writers, can make a difference. When it comes to reducing our environmental footprint, small steps can have a lasting impact. Become a green writer today.
Here are 10 things you can do now:
- Stop using disposable pens. How about a vintage fountain pen?
- Not working? Turn off computer & printer. Better yet–unplug them.
- Open the drapes and make use of natural (free) light.
- Replace the light bulbs in your office with energy efficient bulbs.
- Print on scrap paper. Print on both sides of paper. Purchase paper made from recycled sources. And remember to recycle your ink cartridges.
- Do as much of your business, bills, & marketing online.
- Getting rid of old equipment? Donate to charity or take to an electronics recycling centre (cell phones included).
- Review your subscriptions and put an end to junk mail.
- Reduce, reuse, & recycle. Find ways to apply all three in your office area.
- Educate others on the importance of Earth friendly practices at work, home, and in our communities.
BONUS: How about embedding environmental messages and behaviors in your writing (I love to do this!) Give your characters an environmental conscience.
Share your own great tips by replying to this post, and while you’re at it, tell us what you’re doing around your home or office to celebrate Earth Day.