Our writing group held its final meeting for the year and oh what fun it was! There were pretty gifts and sprinkled cupcakes—and heck, even prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe. And PAGES; yes, we managed to consume treats, whilst still making time for each of our critiques.
We worked through 2 queries (1 rated PG-13; 1 rated G), 1 red carpet synopsis, 1 alien picture book manuscript, and 1 sleep-inducing essay (or not) for the insomniacs among us. We were also fortunate to receive personal feedback from LD’s 6 year-old son, aka the Simon Cowell of children’s literature, who we lured a critique from with Lindt chocolate Kinder eggs.
All in all, it was a productive meeting, with ‘minutes’ to boot, albeit recorded on a yellow sticky note (the jumbo kind—with lines). It was a terrific meeting, stuffed full of encouragement and advice (and a party dress exchange?) as we journey the road together to that paranormal place called publication.
And so, for the record, here are the sparkly business bits.
Restless Writers commitments for 2011:
- LD: to tweak her query & synopsis for sending to agents in January
- LD: to do a proposed table of contents for her humour non-fiction project
- LD: to submit a story to Chicken Soup for the Soul
- MM: to revise her sleep essay for submission to the Globe & Mail
- MM: to clear her plate of indexes (for good, this time)
- BJ: to revise her picture book and send the baby to agents
- BJ: to continue querying her middle-grade fiction
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all! May you have the time, the wine, and the gusto to write your pants off this season.