I just missed the Stephen Leacock Festival (thanks a lot, herniated disk—you ruined everything!), but there’s plenty more to come. Here is a sampling of some great festivals happening this fall within an easy drive of the Greater Toronto Area.
- Eden Mills Writers’ Festival: September 17-19, 2010 (Eden Mills). Featuring a young writers’ workshop and readings from adult (Peter Robinson!), young adult (R.J. Anderson!) and children’s (Patricia Storms!) writers.
- Words Alive Literary Festival: September 18, 2010 (Sharon). Featuring spoken word artists, poets and writers, including acclaimed author Nino Ricci.
- Kingston WritersFest: September 22-26 (Kingston). Featured authors include Trevor Cole, Sandra Gulland, Steven Heighton, Guy Gavriel Kay and Lisa Moore. The website will be updated soon with more details.
- The Word on the Street: September 26, 2010 (Vancouver, Kitchener, Toronto and Halifax). A national celebration of literacy and the written word.
- International Festival of Authors: October 20-30 (Toronto). Featured authors include Sandra Birdsell, Giles Blunt, Dany Laferrière, Yann Martel, Louise Penny, Jane Urquhart and many, many more.
- BookFest Windsor: November 4-6 (Windsor). Featuring readings by Susan Juby, Alexander MacLeod, Stuart Ross, and many others.
And of course, to learn more about cultural destinations in Ontario, check Ontario Travel.